Med3 Fit Notes
Rules regarding Fit Notes are constantly being updated by the government. For the most up to date rules and guidance please use the link below which will take you to the relevant page on the .gov website.
Self Certification Sick/Fit Note for less than 7 days
If you have been ill for 7 days or less you don’t need to see a Doctor. You can complete a Self-Certification form yourself. However some employers insist on a Doctor’s note regardless. A Doctors note under these circumstances involves a charge of £20.
Many employers have their own self-certification forms. If your employer doesn’t have its own form you can download the Self Certification Form. Please print it, fill it in and hand it in to your employer. You do not need to see a Doctor.
Sick/Fit Note for More than 7 Days
If you have been ill for more than 7 days you will need a doctor’s certificate. These certificates are called ‘Fitness to Work’ Certificates.
You may need to have a phone consultation with one of the GPs before the certificate can be issued. However, if the condition for the sick certificate is known to us, you may not need to speak to the GP.
If you require a repeat certificate you will need to complete one of our ‘Repeat Sick Certificate Request‘ Forms. You can either complete the online form which will be sent directly to us, or print off and complete the printable form and drop it into reception. Your certificate will then be ready for collection within 72 hours. However, if the GP feels they need further information you may be required to make a routine appointment.
If you have reviewed the information on the link above and need to make a MED 3 (Fit note) request to the GP please do the following.
Please use THIS LINK to request your Med 3 Certificate. The request must contain the below information.
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Contact Number
- Condition the Med 3 (Fit note) is for
- Date that the illness began
- Date you require Med 3 (Fit note) to start from
- Date you require Med 3 (Fit note) to finish (If you do not know how long you need the Med 3 to be for then please contact the practice)
- Supply supporting information (EG if you have any paperwork regarding your illness/injury from A&E or your consultant) This may not have been received by the Practice yet. The Practice will be unable to supply certificates for any sickness/injury that they have no evidence of. Letters from the hospital can sometimes take 6 weeks before they arrive at the Practice.)
Med 3 (fit notes) cannot be issued in advance. They can only be backdated.